To deliver the content of the Early Years Foundation Stage statutory framework, giving children a secure foundation and enabling our children to 'Dare to Dream Big'.
Early childhood is the foundation on which children build the rest of their lives. In the Early Years Foundation Stage at Broom Valley Community School we greatly value the important role that the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) plays in laying secure foundations for future learning and development, however we also believe early childhood is valid in itself, as part of life. It is important to view the EYFS as preparation for life and not simply preparation for the next stage of education.
During the Early Years Foundation Stage “Every child deserves the best possible start in life and the support that enables them to fulfil their potential. Children develop quickly in the early years and a child’s experiences between birth and age five have a major impact on their future life chances. A secure, safe and happy childhood is important in its own right. Good parenting and high-quality early learning together provide the foundation children will all need to make the most of their abilities and talents as they grow up.”
“Statutory Framework for Early Years Foundation Stage”
Department for Education, 2021
At BVCS, learning takes place through a balance of child-initiated play and adult led learning, including:
- The direct teaching of reading, writing and maths everyday
- Daily opportunities for children to practise and consolidate their previous knowledge and transfer knowledge into Long Term Memory
In the Early Years Foundation Stage at Broom Valley Community School we deliver a curriculum based on the framework for the Revised Statutory Early Years Foundation Stage 2021. This describes the seven areas of learning and development which must be implemented through planned purposeful play.
The Prime Areas of Learning and Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
The Specific Areas of Learning and Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Through our curriculum and teaching, we hope that our pupil’s will become:
- Unique individuals who form positive relationships with adults and peers
- Independent, curious learners who explore and ask meaningful questions
- Confident learners who are ready for the next stage in their learning journey.
Information for parents: