At Broom Valley Primary School we are committed to the delivery of excellence in the teaching of phonics. We ensure that children have the relevant skills to decode and we foster a love of reading that will form the foundation of life long reading. We use the programme Read Write Inc.
What is Read Write Inc?
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a DfE-validated systematic synthetic phonics programme with a whole school approach to teaching early reading and writing, designed to ensure progress for every child – whatever their needs, whatever their background. We teach children to read sounds and blend them into words.
They apply this phonic knowledge to read and comprehend fully decodable books that are carefully matched to the sounds they know.
While your children are learning to read, they work in progress groups to master each level of phonics and reading. They are assessed and re-grouped every half-term, ensuring they are working at the correct level.
The overarching objectives of the RWI programme are to teach pupils to:
- apply the skill of blending phonemes in order to read words.
- segment words into their constituent phonemes in order to spell words.
- learn that blending and segmenting words are reversible processes.
- read high frequency words that do not conform to regular phonic patterns.
- read texts and words that are within their phonic capabilities as early as possible.
- decode texts effortlessly so that their focus can be used on reading to learn (comprehension)
- spell effortlessly so that their focus can be directed towards the composition of their writing
In addition to RWI, we value exploring rich texts through daily storytime, text based writing sessions and by borrowing storybooks to be enjoyed at home with parents.